15.1.10

Top 3 experiences in the week ending today.

I have now been in england for one week precisely. It feels like a thousand times longer, one because everything is pretty new and two because I have been so busy. Every day thus far I have gone out and done something or seen something. I've picked three of my favorites things that I havn't already talked about to tell you.
1.
St. Paul's
As an art history major, especially within the last year, I have learned a lot about archiecture. One of the most prominent buildings discussed in England is St. Paul's Cathedral. So to see it in person was to realize why it is so important. The sheer size of the building is the first thing to overwhelm you. The giant neo classical columns and pediment takes your eye further and further upward.

 The interior was just as impressive. Pictures weren't allowed so I guess you just have to see it yourself. I sat craning my neck back and stared at the underneath of the dome just to take it all in.

The most fascinating thing about this church is that it is England's National Church. Any major event that affects the entire nation takes place there. Princess Diana and
Charles were married there, Winston Churchill's funeral was there and the night after 9/11 England held a memorial for America there. The whole nation feels as one in this space.
 2.
going to really old shops
shopping is not only a skill I have honed but its a genetic trait, thanks mom. I am really good at it. Take that however you like. But while here, I have decided to get things I can only buy here. I've done good thus far, but it has only been a week :) My favorite is going into really old stores. I already mentioned I went to Harrods, that place is old but its full of things that will break my bank. Yesterday my friend Brit and I found this bookstore:

Hatchards. Its been there since 1797. It's five floors of books. With little tiny staircases and mazes of rooms and bookelves. I loved it. I really like books. I won't disclose how much money I spent there because my mother reads this but I'll tell you of my two favorites that I got. The first was an architecture book. It's kinda like an encylcopedia of architectural elements with hand drawn pictures and diagrams. The other is a book by one of my favorite artists, Mark Rothko. Its of his hidden/lost manuscripts on art. I am excited to actually get a chance to read them after the semester, I have way too much reading to do for my classes.
3.
adventuring with new friends

so I think the best part is just playing around with all my new friends. It doesn't really matter where we end up on our adventures because it always ends up being a fun time, even though most the time we do go to relaly cool places. For exapmle, last night a few of us made plans to go on the Jack the Ripper walking tour and then to this free concert in the back of a restaurant. BUT the tube was delaynd we were ten minutes late for the tour and when we made it over to the venue for the concert it was really some weird british comedian. SO instead we walked around goofing off



[ some big statue ]

[ tower bridge ]


[ we could have easily fit atleast two more in there. ]
and then went and ate at the Waffle house by our place.

No comments:

Post a Comment